Newport’s Families First Disability Strand is led by Barnardo’s and is made up of:
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- Children with Additional Needs Support Project (CANS): Barnardo’s and Newport City Council
- Young Carers: Barnardo’s
- Youth and Play Provision: SPARKLE
Our services work together to ensure children and young people with a disability, cognitive or physical impairment or additional needs and their families, can access opportunities for them to achieve their potential. We provide support through groups and individual work to overcome any issues they identify. If families are receiving support from one service we make it easy for them to access other services in the strand.
Examples of how the services work together include:
- Sparkle and Newport Young Carers Sibling Fun Day; open to all children and young people aged 0-18 years, who are siblings of children with a disability or developmental difficulty and their siblings. Activities include arts and crafts, cooking and design, team building, treasure hunt and a party.
- Newport Young Carers and Youth Service; training for young adult carers to become peer mentors
- Joint training days for all staff to increase skills, share knowledge and resources, plan joint delivery
All services in the Disability Strand can be accessed individually or through the Families First Team Around the Family.