CANS Project is a preventative Families First project delivered by Barnardo's and Newport City Council. CANS provides support to families of children with additional needs. CANS aims to work in partnership with families to identify shared goals, and empower them to achieve set targets by providing information, advice and signposting. CANS recognise the need for early intervention and will work with children who do not have a diagnosis in place.
What we offer
- Support around routines and boundaries
- Building on your families strengths
- Support around diagnosis
- Behaviour management
- Parenting Support
CANS project also deliver the following groups:
The Family Links Nurturing Programme
For parents of a child with an additional need. The programme runs over ten weeks and supports parents to make the most of family life through learning how to nurture both their children and themselves.
The Cygnet Parenting Support Programme
An evidence-based programme for parents and carers of children aged 5-18 who are on the autistic spectrum. The programme aims to support parents who may feel particularly isolated in meeting their child's needs by providing them with appropriate knowledge and skills in a mutually supportive environment.
Once your referral has been received, a Family Support Worker will contact your family and arrange a home visit. A small assessment will be completed, identifying what support your family would benefit from. A family plan and goal is then identified; CANS will then support you to achieve these and goals. Support can be provided on an individual or group basis.
Referrals must have the consent of the parent or guardian and can be made by family members, professionals or any interested parties. Referrals are processed through a single point of entry:
Phone: 01633 851782
- To support parents to enable their children to reach their full potential
- To work in partnership with other organisations in order to provide a holistic plan of support
- Disabled children and their families receive appropriate and relevant information tailored to their needs.
- Disabled children and their families are supported to access mainstream, specialist and community resources that meet their needs.
If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.
- CANS Project, Serennu Children's Centre, Cwrt Camlas, High Cross, Rogerstone, Newport, NP23 5NA
- Telephone: 01633 748000